THIS. SALAD. When people ask if I miss LA, I usually say “not really…” until I start thinking about the food. UGH! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my hometown foods like cheesesteaks, hoagies, and soft pretzels – but the food in LA is fresh, light, clean, hmm what other nice word can I use to describe food.. oh, HEALTHY?
This chopped salad is basically the best chopped salad of all time. Just Google it. LA SCALA CHOPPED SALAD.
You can easily find the recipe online, but here I am to give it to you – I’ve had it! I know what it takes! And here it is. It takes a tiny bit of patience…or a killer salad cutter. Check out this one below!
The key to a great chopped salad is to really CHOP it. This recipe says it will feed six, but I bet you’ll finish it even if you’re cooking for two. (side note: salad doesn’t exactly keep well in the fridge, so if you are really cooking for two, cut all the below in half)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil because it was in the cabinet)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (maybe a dash more if you’re feeling adventurous) dry mustard or 3⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, rinsed and finely chopped (or buy the bag of shredded lettuce)
- 1⁄3head of romaine lettuce, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1⁄4lb italian salami, julienned (8 or so slices works)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (a solid handful)
- 1/2-1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and well-drained (varies on how much you like garbanzo beans)
- A tiny bit of fresh basil (optional)
- To make dressing: combine oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste; whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuces, salami, mozzarella, and garbanzo beans. Toss with dressing to taste.
- Basil as desired
ENJOY! Please let me know if you made it and what you thought!